Using HoloPlay Studio
Looking Glass Portrait must be in Desktop Mode
For the Advanced Beta Backer version of HoloPlay Studio, the Looking Glass Portrait must be connected in desktop mode before starting HoloPlay Studio. If you toggle between desktop mode and standalone mode, remember to restart HoloPlay Studio.
Exploring Demo Holograms
HoloPlay Studio requires hologram source files to create holograms on your Looking Glass Portrait. The source files for the demo holograms preloaded onto your Looking Glass Portrait were not included in HoloPlay Studio as they are large files.
To view these demo holograms on your portrait after syncing other content onto your device, you can:
- Reset your device to play demo holograms
- Download individual holograms
Reset your device to play demo holograms
The public release version of HoloPlay Studio will provide a better way for users to download source files for their demo holograms in standalone mode.
For beta backers, you revert to your demo hologram playlist by using the DemoPlaylistMaker script. Please consult the README for:
- an explanation of how it works
- caveats under which this this script will not work
Download Individual Holograms
To download individual holograms (which allows you to explore the holograms in more detail and which allows you to integrate these demo holograms into your own playlist):
- Browse to the specific demo reel content you'd like to download
- Click on "New Hologram" from HoloPlay Studio
- Select "Quilt Image / Video"
- Select the file you've downloaded to add it
The left side of the application is the Playlist Panel, which lists the holograms that are to play on your Looking Glass Portrait. By right clicking on a hologram or by clicking on a Hologram and selecting the
Edit item from the application menu, you can do the following:
- Duplicate -- creates a copy of the hologram: useful if you'd like the playlist to highlight different sections of a given hologram
- Edit Length -- changes the playback length of hologram images (note - video length cannot be edited in HoloPlay Studio)
- Delete -- removes a given hologram and all property data from the playlist
- Rename -- changes the display name of the Hologram in HoloPlay Studio
In addition to this menu, you can also:
- Rearrange holograms by clicking and holding on a playlist item and dragging it above or below other holograms in the playlist
- Add new holograms by clicking on the
Add Hologramdown below
The Playback Bar, underneath the Playlist Panel, lets you control how content is played on the Looking Glass Portrait while in desktop mode. These buttons will seek to the previous and next hologram and advance or pause the playback.
Add Hologram Panel
To activate the Add Hologram panel, click on the yellow
Add Hologram button of the Playlist Panel. The right side of the application will show a menu explaining the different formats you can import. The Advanced Beta Backer version of HoloPlay Studio supports the following formats:
|iPhone Portrait Mode Photos||An iPhone-photo mode that includes hidden depth data that can be used to create holograms|
|RGBD Images / Video||an image / video format with RGB data in one half and depth data in the other|
|Quilt Images / Video||a compressed Looking Glass light field image / video format (more info about this standard)|
More formats will be supported in the HoloPlay Studio public release.
Whenever a hologram is selected in the Playlist Panel, the right side of the application will show that hologram's properties. Adjusting those properties will change how that Hologram appears in your Looking Glass Portrait. Each format has different properties, so please visit the documentation for the specific format you're working with for explanations on that format.
Syncing to your Looking Glass Portrait
To sync your playlist to your Looking Glass Portrait for Standalone mode, click on the "Sync" button. This will take some time. You will be able to see the holograms as they sync (usually at a slowed down speed) on the Looking Glass Portrait.
The next time your Looking Glass Portrait is in standalone mode, it should show the updated holograms.